This is nice and easy.
Purchased with Afterpay barcode
If original purchase receipt was via barcode, we ask the customer to take the purchase receipt with them and hand that in to the store team member. Simply scan the receipt to ensure the refund goes back to the Afterpay account.
Purchased with Afterpay Card
If you made the purchase was made using our Card, this is what the customer has to do:
- Launch the Afterpay app and select the order you're returning from the orders tab (tip: click history to see purchases that have been paid)
- Tap the three dots in the right-hand corner then tap returning an order
- Follow the prompts to return the order in-store
- Tap the Refund to Afterpay Card button
- Hold your phone near the card reader at the register
It is best if the customer keeps hold of the return receipt. Funds will be returned to the original payment method usually within 5-7 business days.
Good to know
For security reasons, receipts from purchases made with Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay will not show the same last few digits as on the front of the physical or virtual card.
The numbers you see on the receipt are the last four digits of a digital card number associated with the physical or virtual card. These last four can be validated by your card provider.
Why is the customer being prompted for a PIN to complete their refund?
Some merchant terminals are configured to request a PIN number when processing a refund. This PIN number is not typically verified as part of the refund authorization, which means any number (such as 0000 or 1111) or simply pressing the ‘Okay’ button will allow the refund to be successfully processed.
If the refund is declined, the customer will need to set up a PIN for their Afterpay Card for the refund to be processed. To set up a PIN number for their Afterpay Card:
- Click the card tab at the bottom of the app
- Click the info button on top right hand corner (i)
- Click how to set or update your pin
The customer will be prompted to choose and reconfirm their PIN number. The refund can then be reattempted and PIN number entered to complete the refund process.
Where can a customer find the last four digits of the card used for the purchase during a refund?
The cashier can use the Device Account Number to process your return. To find the Device Account Number on your iPhone or iPad:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down to Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Tap the Afterpay card.