Afterpay returns work within your company’s return policy. If a customer wants to return a purchase and it meets eligibility requirements for the funds to be restored to the original form of payment, process the return as you would for any other credit return.
The customer may initiate the return through the Afterpay app:
- Launch the Afterpay app and tap into the In-Store tab
- Select “How it Works” in the top right corner, followed by “How do I return an order?”
- Tap the “Make an Afterpay Card return” button, followed by “Refund to Afterpay Card.”
- Your Afterpay Card will open in your digital wallet. Tap the phone near the card reader to initiate the return.
- Print and give the customer the receipt confirming the return. It may take up to 10 days for the funds to be restored to the original payment method.
We recommended completing an Afterpay Card refund in the same way as a purchase - by the customer opening the Afterpay app first. This assists backend reconciliation of matching the refund transaction to the correct purchase. However, a refund will be processed successfully if the Afterpay Card is tapped directly from the digital wallet.
It is best if the customer keeps hold of the return receipt. It may take up to 10 days for the funds to be restored to the original payment method.